Control Moisture Throughout Your Home.
TUFF-N-DRI® Basement Waterproofing System and some simple preventive measures can help reduce moisture inside your basement. In addition, the following actions are recommended by numerous government, health and environmental agencies for reducing excess moisture throughout the house.
- Repair all internal and external moisture sources – leaky roof, unsealed windows, leaky plumbing, trapped moisture, heating/cooling vents, and gutters/eaves troughs
- Raise the thermostat setting to dry the air
- Open windows daily to improve ventilation and control moisture
- Improve air circulation – remove obstacles to air
- Add insulation
- Open closet doors to promote air circulation and dryness
- Control activity-based moisture sources – vent showers, clothes dryers and cooking stoves to the outside with vent fans
- Avoid overcooling with air conditioning
- Install double-paned, sealed windows. If this is not an option, and window condensation is a frequent occurrence, wipe the windows down
- Keep doors between rooms closed when cooking, bathing, washing and drying. Use vent/exhaust fans
- Clean or replace furnace filters every month to prevent overload and dispersal of filtered material
- Have the HVAC system checked for excessive condensation and have air conditioning coil cleaned
- Remove debris from the yard, gutters and roof